About the Community

Twilight Coven Philippines is a community of Filipino enthusiasts of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga and her other works.

Send us an email at: twilightcoven@gmail.com

Forum | TCP@Multiply | Yahoo! Groups | Plurk | Admin Blog on Twitter

The Danag Podcast

Now Online:
Episode 25: We do not care what you did, Carlisle, but we have been waiting a millenium...to La Push you into the crevasse!

Downloads & Show Notes | Past Episodes

Twilight Gay 01: Meet TCP's Newest Blogger

It all started with a joke one afternoon when we met Ronald, a writer for a local newspaper, when he interviewed us for his feature on Twilight. We found his comments about Twilight funny and witty, that we asked him, "Hey, why don't we put up a column written by a Twilight Gay, you know, something like what Twilight Guy does? Write about Twilight from a gay perspective?" Ronald thought it would be fun, so here we are.

This is the first installment of Ronald's Twilight Gay column right here on TCP! If you like him well enough, he just might write for us some more, so please do post and give us some feedback.

WARNING: The article contains some adult language, so please be warned before clicking on the link.

Read the rest of this post
Twilight Gay 01: Meet TCP's Newest Blogger

In case the title isn't enough of a giveaway for you, let me explain the whole conceit behind this... this thing that we will be sharing, Dear Reader. I'm a gay guy who reads the Twilight Series, and if your support (and site hits!) permit, you'll be reading my thoughts on the matter… on a regular basis.

Of course, this idea borrows heavily from Twilight Guy, a straight guy who purportedly reads the series for "research purposes". He's extremely popular, something which can be attributed to the fact that 1. he's a freaking straight guy reading Twilight and 2. he's reasonably attractive. Kinda like Josh Peck from Drake and Josh when he got all thin.

What? You all were thinking it.

* * * * *

I had already heard rumblings from the Internet about the awfulness that Twilight had on offer, from assertions that even fan fiction is better written than this tripe, to the rabid hate that springs so easily from the people who've read New Moon and lived to rant about it. Each and every missive were like large neon red signs telling me not to enter the sparkly domain of Forks, Washington and the convoluted lives of its clumsy, emo teenagers.

But as my undying love for Temptation Island clearly illustrates, those same reviews sucked me right in, making me buy all three books in the series, expecting that There Will Be Blood. But even then it would be weeks before I actually began to read "Twilight", and only because I had to interview the lovely ladies from Twilight Coven Philippines for my day job. When I got to the part where Edward declares that he has had it with being good, I knew right then and there that I was done for.

* * * * *

Just like Twilight Guy, I really wouldn't call myself a Twihard. I have read all the books, and I sorta, kinda like them, but not exactly for the reasons that you might think. It's no secret that the Twilight series, despite its immense popularity, has a lot of faults – some of which I'll be talking about in future installments -- and most "serious" readers would rather be caught doing something illegal with a goat and a traffic cone rather than admit that they hold Twilight and its sparkly contents close to their heart.

While I'm not a "serious" reader, those who know me would never really expect me to lug around Twilight, much less read it in public. Woolf? Yes. Vonnegut? Absolutely. Colette? Definitely. But the Sparkly Prince of the Undead? Not in a thousand years.

In that respect (and I can't believe I'm actually typing this), liking Twilight is like the closeted gay jock falling in love with the ostracized out gay goth boy. He makes fun of the make-up, the fey demeanor, the embarrassing tendency to sparkle. He maybe even beats him up every once in a while.

But what he wants -- what he really, really wants -- in his closeted gay heart is to maybe watch a movie with gay goth boy, maybe give him a blow job in the backseat of his truck, maybe watch the sunset as they cuddle in the backseat. Then beat him up again when they meet in school because gay goth boy turned him gay.

So what you're going to be reading in the coming weeks, Dear Reader, is my slow and painful way of edging out of my Twilight-loving closet. I will beat it up a lot, I will make fun of the sparkles, I will make fun of the fact that Bella doesn't seem to have a personality outside of her relationship with Edward.

But what I really, really want is to cuddle with it, hold it furtively against my chest in the back of a moving cab, maybe give it an esteemed place by my bedside. Because for better or for worse, the sparkles have me, and it doesn't look like they're going to let me go.

- Ronald


So, what do you guys think? Comments are LOVE. :) And yes, we will not approve any anti-gay comments. Why can't we all just get along? Twilight is for EVERYONE.


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    love the post...let's hear him (her?)again...and soon!

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    hahaha. Amusing POV. I agree, SM's writing do have some flaws. Not that i'm criticizing her work but an observation. I'm also a fan of Anne Rice and I could compare them both.

    It's the "Sparkly Prince" that made the book a best seller. SM captured every girls heart by creating a character with all the qualities we look for in a male. Imagine a guy who actually listens and is truly concerned about every aspect of your life. The one who is "always" there when you needed him or a guy who is so chaste and trustworthy that you allow him to sneak in your bedroom without any malice. Plus he's loaded and owns a Volvo C30. Not to mention immortal and gorgeous. Is that actually possible?

    Apparently, there are some straight guys who dislike the idea of the "Edward Reference Scale". Probably it makes them feel undervalued. I actually knew a couple who broke up because the girl felt her partner was underrated compared to Mr. E. Cullen. Talk about excessive OCD. Someone should invent an OCD Scale from Mild, Moderate to Excessive. As for that poor guy, he simply anwsered her back, "If you could be more like Bella, then maybe you could find your Edward."

    I'm a Twihard,by the way.

  3. Ronald said...
     

    Oh, I think we can handle a little homophobia every now and then. :D It could be fun!

  4. Anonymous said...
     

    ooh. i like! bring it on, twilight gay.

    you know we'd love you.

    xoxo
    gossip gay

  5. JedMeister said...
     

    hahaha! this is cute! :)

  6. Anonymous said...
     

    Cannot stress how much I love the post. Keep them coming Twilight Gay! Cheers! =]

  7. Anonymous said...
     

    NICE!.^^
    please continue on posting..

  8. Anonymous said...
     

    WOW! As I was reading this, I can't help but to smile a lot. Amusing POV, I must say. More!!!

  9. Anonymous said...
     

    liking Twilight is like the closeted gay jock falling in love with the ostracized out gay goth boy

    --Hay.. I love you na Ronald! Hahahaha. And because of you I will really make the pin na that I was planning to do last month pa. The "I am a certified Twi-Gay" pin! I love it!:D

  10. Anonymous said...
     

    I love it! :D couldn't help but smile. and laugh


    To the Twi-Gays. *cheers*

    :D

Post a Comment